No, this isn’t like 28 Weeks Later.
It’s been 5 years since April 2011, the month that I stopped blogging after doing it for 2 years, and also the same time that I was already drifting away from social media, and from the wonderful relationships that I had built with about 50 people through this blog.
What has happened in the last 5 years? In chronological order:
- I had my first daughter, Summer, in April 2011.
- My friend Trey Pennington sadly passed away on September 4th 2011. It was a tragedy.
- The end of 2011 I decided I wanted to I move on from Like Minds, the conference that I co-founded, so that I could:
- Fulfil my dream since I was 16, and start leading my own church, in Plymouth in March 2012.
- My second daughter, Phoenix, was born in May 2013.
- At the same time as Phoenix was born, I also had to remove my senior minister (who had been a mentor for 16 years) from his position due to serious moral issues. That was a biggie.
- Phoenix had open heart surgery at 5 months old in October 2013. She had a condition called Tetralogy of Fallot.
- In 2014 I had the best year of being a pastor since I had been a lay or full-time minister. The church in Plymouth really flourished. We grew to 150 people from the 30 that there were when I took it over.
- At the beginning of 2015 I took a break from church leadership owing to depression from the fallout of my previous senior minister. As I began to read about spiritual abuse, I realised that he was a sociopath and had been pretty horrendous to me for the 16 years that he mentored me.
- This led to me questioning my faith, which led it to it changing, which led to:
- In May 2015 I left my pastoral role as I couldn’t continue it with integrity and started looking for work.
- Thus I applied for 45 job applications with not a single interview!
- September 2015 I started consulting again. I was nervous if I had anything to offer, but slowly rebuilt that as I got in touch with my old blog network.
- In Feb 2016 had the wonderful news that Faye, my wife, is pregnant again :-)
- March 2016 I put The Engaging Method online, and also started Ampersand Club.
- April 2016 I resurrected this old blog as a reminder of the lovely community I found here.
Ok, so perhaps it was a little like 28 weeks later… it has been quite a journey. But, I am all the better for it.