I’ve been speaking since 15 years of age, where I began in my local youth group.
Since then, I’ve given hundreds of talks, lectures, MC’ing and workshops at conferences, business events, concerts, universities, schools, colleges, after-dinner talks, youth camps, church services and the like.
I’ve spoken internationally in both business and spirituality / church contexts, from workshops of a handful to audiences of hundreds.
Some of my achievements in speaking / presenting include:
- Speaking at the first International Youth Conference & festival (IYCF) in Pakistan, organised by Khudi and Quilliam.
- Expert guest on BBC Watchdog.
- Delivered over 100 sermons at River Church Plymouth.
- Invited to speak alongside President George W. Bush. (I didn’t take the invite up, as it was around the same time as the birth of my first child.)
- Delivered the keynote and introduced the Lord Mayor at Exeter International Night three times.
- Spoke to a crowd of 100-500 rowdy youth, every month, and then every week, for 2 years!
- Presenter on GO TV for 5 shows.
“Just a note to say how much all the staff enjoyed Scott’s ‘Growth Mindset’ training on Wednesday. He has a most engaging way of presenting and we found it very interesting.” – Sue Williams, Headteacher, Stowford School
“Scott has a flair for communicating ideas simply and meaningfully, by blending digital, offline media, and public speaking.” – Andrew Davis, Co-founder, idio
“As a lecturer at the leadership programme I took part in, he displayed his phenomenal ability to communicate and break down a subject week after week. This is a rare skill that made new leadership material not only theoretically understandable, but also practically applicable.” – Korneel Verhaeghe, Exeter University
“Scott’s lectures were excellent; he clearly articulated concepts and theories that he was then able to associate with practical actions and methodologies to inspire real change.” – Michael Turnbull, Deltascheme
The things that I speak on are around my key subjects that this website reflects:
- Engagement: what engagement is, how to do it, its benefits and imperatives.
- Community: how to build communities (and how NOT to build communities!)
- Events: delivering great events that people actually learn and network at.
- Leadership: how to build teams and lead people, from someone who found it very hard to learn how (me!)
- Life Design: the habits and productivity traits for getting stuff done.
On the line of spirituality, church and religion, things are a bit more granular:
- The main thing I can talk about is my own journey into and out of a cult-like / fundamentalist church.
- This above subject of course then touches on wholeness vs controlling leadership / doctrine / habits. Along this line, I like to talk to churches about a maturity metaphor to church, rather than a journey metaphor.
- I also talk to church congregations (sermons) on faith, hope and love, and how these three are the critical elements of christian life and indeed church life.
Celebrant / Wedding Ceremonies
There are a few of my talks on video at my YouTube channel.
Here’s one of my most recent videos that shows my approach to speaking:
I am very happy to accept invitations to lectures, workshops and talks. You can fill in the form below to give me the relevant info, or you can email the details of your request to me.
If you need my bio and headshot, you can get them here here.